betaNYC, a Code for America brigade for NYC: betaNYC May 2013 Newsletter
It’s been quite the month! Here’s a brief update…
- Video from “Meet Code For America” meetup at OpenPlans. Thanks Joly and NYC’s Internet Society for taping the night.
- Last week, we had DoITT’s Andrew Nicklin and eight of his colleagues debut NYC.gov’s developer portal. It is currently in beta and be explored at < nyc.gov/developers >.
- Also, Volkan and Curtis took Andrew Nicklin’s Open311 made some moves on the nodejs project. Check out their work on GitHub.
- Our friends at Personal Democracy Forum have offered a 20% discount if you use the code “BigApps2013” – (“I highly recommend this conference!’ – Noel)
A call for betaNYC Community Ambassadors!
We are looking for a few good people to help assist with our event schedule and weekly hack nights. Your main responsibility will be to represent our community, help produce our events, and help on-board new members.
Other responsibilities will include: setting up event spaces, coordinating [food and beer], greeting attendees, making announcements, etc. You should be able to attend at least 2 of our Wednesday weekly hacknights a month, as well as be available for a monthly volunteer meeting.
If you are interested in this position, please fill out this form.
There are just a few more weeks to submit to NYC BigApps. In the lead up to the June 7th deadline, there are a few more events… Including NYC BigApps CityCamp!
NATIONAL DAY OF CIVIC HACKING!
On 1 June, New York City will have FOUR events as part of a National Day of Civic Hacking.
- NYC BigApps CityCamp – Learn from NYC’s civic technology leaders, get expert advice on your application, and win a trip to the White House.
- EDesign Lab Open Source K12 Hackathon – Build or Contribute to to address compelling K12 learning needs with technology.
- Rockaway Beach Civic Hack Day – developing tools for the community and government to collaborate on rebuilding after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.
- NYCPublic.org Design/Hackathon – “Creating tools for School Parents”
“National Day of Civic Hacking is a national event that will take place June 1-2, 2013, in cities across the nation. The event will bring together citizens, software developers, and entrepreneurs from all over the nation to collaboratively create, build, and invent new solutions using publicly-released data, code and technology to solve challenges relevant to our neighborhoods, our cities, our states and our country. National Day of Civic Hacking will provide citizens an opportunity to do what is most quintessentially American: roll up our sleeves, get involved and work together to improve our society.”
- Wed, 5/22: Hacknight
- Wed, 5/29: Hacknight
- Wed, 5/29: NYC Schools’ Gap App Challenge Winners Demo Night
- Sat, 6/1: NYC BigApps CityCamp
- Wed, 6/5: Hacknight / Personal Democracy Forum Conference Pre-party
How to submit to this newsletter?
Email Ashley at email@example.com
Submit your announcement, event, etc. by the 10th of every month. We will be sending newsletters out in the middle of every month.